We want a joined-up (integrated) care system that best meets the needs of the people who live in Wigan Borough.
What does this mean?
All health and social care organisations in Wigan Borough agree that we need to work together to achieve the following ambitions:
- We want to support you to stay healthy and be independent
- We want all of our services to be safe, of a high quality and part of an integrated system
- We want you to get services at or close to home, unless there is a good reason that you need to be in hospital
Who is involved?
NHS Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group, Wigan Council, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust (your local hospitals), Your local GPs, Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Trust (your local community services provider), 5 Boroughs NHS Foundation Trust (your local mental health services provider), Healthwatch Wigan (your local patient champions).
What might change?
Lots of things will change for the better, but we need your help to make sure that we change the right things in the right way.
Examples of some the of the changes we are thinking about include:
- The person will be at the heart of their care and actively involved in planning and decision-making.
- People will be supported to stay well, be independent and be in control of their own health and the services and treatment they receive.
- It will be easier to see your local doctor or nurse and more services will be available in local GP services. Local doctors will have a bigger role in managing how the system works.
- There will be a named nurse or doctor responsible for a person's care.
- There will be less duplication in the system and services will together in a co-ordinated way around the person using them.
- More services will be delivered at home or in the community unless there is a good reason why you should be in hospital.
- There will be clinical standards for hospitals to reduce differences in quality.
- Hospitals across Greater Manchester will work more closely together around the more specialist services.
What will it mean for me and my family?
- You will access to the right services at the right time.
- You will feel confident asking questions about your care and are involved in decisions about your care and treatment.
- You, your family, your carers and your community will all be working together with us to keep you healthy and independent.
- Services will work well for you, and not make you work hard to get them.
- You will only have to tell us something once.
- When you have a real emergency, for example a heart attack or stroke, you will get access to the best care possible in Greater Manchester from a team of specialist doctors and nurses, wherever that specialist team may be located.
Want more information?
Wigan Borough has a strategy on how they are going make these changes and what they want them to achieve. If you want to learn more about our Integrated Care programme, please download the strategy.