Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group is the statutory body responsible for commissioning local health services in Ashton, Leigh and Wigan.

Contact us on 01942 482711 or public@wiganboroughccg.nhs.uk


Website No Longer Being Updated

Great news, we have a new website with even more information on local NHS services at www.healthierwigan.nhs.uk.

From 4th November 2019, this website is no longer being updated, so visit our new website
to get the latest information.

If you are looking for archived information on this site you can dismiss this popup by
using the close icon on the top right of the page.

If you have a complaint about any aspect of service provided or commissioned by Wigan Borough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or you would like to discuss your concerns, you can do so in the following ways:

Telephone:    01942 482880 (9am – 4pm Monday to Friday, excl. Bank Holidays)

Email:            complaints@wiganboroughccg.nhs.uk

Post:              Governance Team, NHS Wigan Borough CCG, Wigan Life Centre, College Avenue, Wigan WN1 1NJ

Who can complain?

Usually you should make the complaint yourself but can ask someone else to make your complaint with your permission.

When should I complain?

You should make your complaint as soon as possible.  The NHS Complaints procedure states that you should make your complaint within 12 months of either the event you are complaining about or as soon as the matter came to your attention.  This time limit can be extended as long as the complaint can still be satisfactorily investigated so don’t let this prevent you from contacting the CCG.

Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you would like support in making your complaint NHS Advocacy is a free, confidential service which is totally independent of the NHS.

How long will it take?

This will depend on what your complaint is about and how complex it is.  The NHS complaints regulations do not require complaints to be investigated within set timescales but instead we will agree an individual timescale with you and the services involved.

What you need to provide

Provide as much information as possible to allow Wigan Borough CCG to investigate your complaint.  Include some or all of the following:

  • Your name and a valid email or home address for reply
  • A clear description of your complaint
  • Any relevant correspondence

What do we do next?

Where the complainant has provided a valid email address, Wigan Borough CCG will send an automatic acknowledgement within three working days of receipt of the complaint.  This acknowledgment will offer the complainant a response within 25 working days and the opportunity to discuss how the complaint will be handled, for example a meeting might be the preferred way of receiving the information.  More complex complaints will inevitable take longer than the 25 working days timescale.

If we are unable to reply within the agreed timescales the complainant will be provided with an explanation and a realistic estimate of when they can expect a response.  Investigations must be completed in a maximum six months from the date of receipt of your complaint (or receipt of patient consent if needed).

Investigate the complaint

The complaint will be investigated and you will receive the findings of that investigation along with an appropriate apology and to understand if any learning or changes will take place as a result of the findings of the investigation.

Further escalation

If you are not content with the reply that the complaints lead provides then the next step is to escalate your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

Details of how to contact the PHSO will be included in the complaint’s lead reply.  For information the PHSO address is:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower


London     SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0845 015 4033

Email: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk

Wigan Borough CCG has a legal duty to cooperate fully with any enquiry or investigation that the PHSO carries out in relation to a complaint about Wigan Borough CCG and to provide any relevant documents.

Further details in how to complaint to the PHSO can be found on the website http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/home


Please note following changes brought about by the Health and Social Care Act from 1 April 2013 Clinical Commissioning Groups are not empowered to investigate complaints about Primary Care Practitioners, GPs, Dentists, Opticians or Pharmacists.  Our Complaints Policy and Procedure can be found on Our Policies page

1000 characters left
Add files

Login Form